Make a 10-minute group presentation for brand extension, and submit a 1000-word report of the new brand extension.
- LO 2 Provide the knowledge of STP marketing planning process.
- LO 3 Evaluate the key components of marketing environment.
- LO 4 Discuss the research requirements to start solving a business/marketing problem in a company.
Make an idea for Pantene brand in order to extend the brand with a thorough research which may consist of:
- The present values of brand that is being extended
- The alternative target market for the brand extension
Conducting the Research
1. Academic Reading
You have to read at least chapter 6,9 and 10 in Brassington and Pettitt's “Essentials of Marketing” and the BB source materials that are available on Kapferer's Brand Identity Prism.
Apply WARC to find articles on the topic brand extensions:
- WARC June 2015: how to extend a brand
- WARC news 23 January 2013 “brand extensions favoured by shoppers”
- WARC case study: John lewis insurance: the power of two brand extensions marketing.
- Aaker (1990) Brand extensions: The good, the bad and the ugly
You need to make suitable Mintel reports as well as company websites and press articles about the existing brand. You need to inform about the brand value and existing target market. You need to research the current issues in the marketing environment(PESTLE). That impact the new product introduction.
You need to look at the existing products in the new recommended market to make sure that your new brand could compete effectively.
10 minutes presentation with 5 minutes Q&A session.
The presentation covers the background of chosen brand include sales trend, market size. Cover the existing brand value with the help of example. Brief explanation of the new product with the growth strategy of brand. Identification of the personal target market for the new brand extension. Explain any important trends and the Pestle issues which impacted the bra d extension idea. Comparative analysis with any identified competition in the new market sector. Visual image of brand extension showing brand name, packaging design and logo distinct from competitive products.
- Writing of the report
- Executive summary
Aims of the report, methods of the research, the results, and the conclusion.
- Content page
Methodology: Statement of how the research was carried out.
Findings: Existing brand and brand value.
- Description of the target market.
- Analyse of the new market and include trends.
- An explanation of the new products.
Part A: presentation weighted 30%
Part B: report weighted 70%