Assessment Brief: Task and General Guidelines
This assignment consists of two tasks. Learners are asked to prepare a report based on a chosen organization for Task 1.
Learners are required to answer the questions based on the case study given for Task 2.
Task 1 (Report)
You are required to create an individual case study dealing with aspects of marketing management. You need to apply key concepts of marketing management to your experience by choosing an organization from the list of 25 ‘disruptive brands’ available here: - http://fabikbrands.com/25-disruptive-brands/
Follow the format of the project that contains the following sections:
- Executive Summary: Summarise the entire case study
- Introduction:Provide the name of organisation with its background information and factors of marketing management
- Literature Review: Prepare a review with marketingmanagement concepts, marketing mix, marketing plan and appropriate application of models, tools and techniques to support marketing analysis
- Application of theory to practice: Evaluate the similarities and differences that focus on the following:
- Processes, concept and strategies of Marketing management
- A brief analysis of marketing mix of your organisation.
- Marketing model’s role, tools and techniques in developing new products and effective marketing plans. It should include at least one model among (Porter’s Model, SWOT Analysis, and PESTLE) and at least one Model among (BCG Matrix, Ansoff Matrix and Product Life Cycle Model).
- Conclusions and Recommendations: Provide summary with recommendations
- References: Use Harvard referencing
Task 2 (Case study)
Case study on ‘Will it blend?’
The company of Blendtec is a division of K-Tec, Inc. which was founded in 1975 and it’s popularly known for its ‘Will it blend’ marketing campaign and sells commercial and residential blenders. It was awarded the 2013 Gold innovation award due to Blendtec’s signature series and stealth line of blenders.
The ‘Will it blend’ series (Blentec, 2013) is often viewed as a great example of a brand that turned its marketing materials into something which could be shared by the consumers. It mainly features the simple premise of using one of the company’s blenders, to see if something seemingly difficult or impossible to blend, will blend. Items which were previously blended included everything from the latest iPhone to magnets, there is a specific focus on items in the zeitgeist or that are the topic of discussion at that moment in time. One of the example is the blending of the much-maligned vuvuzela which was so talked about during the 2010 World Cup (VOA, 2010). The Blendtec blender has successfully blended everything to date with videos still ongoing.
The final result is a viral that is current and interesting which makes consumers want to share it with each other. At the same time, they have put their product at the centre of the campaign and made it look best in class, presenting the lack of risk associated with the product. The campaign of Blendtec have exploited the fact that not many consumers know much about blenders neither many consumers have a favourite blender brand. It is yet interesting way to know that consumers are exposed to a brand of blender that holds a high level of social standing and carries no performance risk in that it will seemingly never fail to blend something. Blendtec has grasped the consumer’s attention and provided a compelling argument to be the consumer’s favourite blender brand in this way.
Here are some YouTube videos from the popular series ‘Will it blend?’ by Blendtec
“Will it blend? iPhone X” https://youtu.be/KWqw5SpITg8
“Will it blend? iPad” https://youtu.be/lAl28d6tbko
“Will it blend? Ford Fiesta” https://youtu.be/xRAz6fkr5RQ
There are three elements for Consumer analysis According to Peter and Olson (2010):- Consumer affect and cognition, Consumer Behaviour and Consumer environment.
In the context of Blentec, establish the relationship between three elements of consumer analysis and how these three elements have helped Blentec to develop effective marketing strategies by answering the following questions:-
- Briefly analyse the three elements of consumer analysis for Blentec. I.e. Consumer affect and cognition, Consumer Behaviour and Consumer environment.
- Evaluate the processes involved in the brand management of Blentec and evaluate how they influence consumer Behaviour.