Point 1: Description of S.M.A.R.T. acronym as used in goal setting theory.
Goal setting theory of motivation simply means that inclusion of challenging and specific goals with appropriate receiving of feedback. This is helpful in attaining better information on the task that also contributes in making task better and relevant (Cherry, 2017). This theory was developed by Edwin Locke in the year 1960. According to this author Goal setting is highly important in making every task successful. At the initial time goals of were formulated by following 5 different principles. They are clarity, challenge, commitment, feedback and Task complexity.
As per this author, each and every principle has its own importance in creating effective goal for particular task that also contributes in the organisational success. Also, it can be said that all principle of theory is somewhat interconnect with the SMART criteria that is also supportive in attainment of organisational success in feasible manner. SMART goals stands for Specific, measurable, acceptable, realistic and time bound. Usage of SMART acronym used in goal setting theory can be seen in the relation of each and every element. Here, it is seen that in first principle of goal setting theory that is clarity, M acronym belonging to SMART criteria is used. Both of these states that whatever goal is developed by company it should be measurable, clear and specific (Elsmore, 2017). It can be more specified with the usage of numerical figures. Usage of acceptable (realistic) can be seen in the commitment principle of goal theory. This simply states that it is essential for business managers to develop realistic goal for business growth by engaging employees in decision making process. This is supportive in attaining organisational goals and objectives.
All the explanation provided in above description that in direct and indirect manner SMART acronyms are used in goal setting theory. Combinations of both of them are helpful in developing effective goals for organisation (Geppert, 2017). Along with this, it is also supportive in improvising organisational performance by enhancing motivational level of employees. This could be effective done by taking regular based feedbacks from existing employees.
Point 2: Discussion on the application of S.M.A.R.T. acronyms in your own life experiences.
SMART acronyms can be used by any individual in their personal as well as professional life. Adoption of this allows a person in setting their goals and objectives in feasible manner that ultimately supports them in attaining their organisational goals and objective in rightful manner. It also ensures person that their goal is clear and reachable (Capello and Kroll, H, 2016). While understanding this concept in own or personal life context, it is essential to go through personal life experience in which I have personally developed SMART goal for my own success. In this regard, example of my own experience associated with application of SMART acronym in developing personal objective is described as below:
While taking my bachelors degree, I have already planned to focus on obtaining job in high school as math teacher. In this regard, I had conducted various analysis and gathered in depth information in order to check out that how much time will going to be obtained by me in getting suitable job in my expected zone. As per my developed investigation, I have developed SMART goal towards the same motive which is described below:
“I will obtain a job as a high school math teacher within three months after graduating with my Bachelor of Science in Education.”
This goal was developed effectively by considering overall SMART Acronym which is helpful in covering all aspect that will also support in fulfilling personal expectations. Consideration of all SMART acronyms and their application in the current case is explained as below:
- Specific: This simply states that goal should be specific and clear to the one who is developing it as it does not create confusion for them in future. In context to my personal experience, I have developed specific goal for my personal life growth. Here, I have specifically mentioned that I want to become high school Mathematics teacher in future. This simply states that my goal is clear and specific. It also guides me about each and every initiative taken by me should go on this direction only (DaviD, 2016).
- Measurable: This acronym states that overall developed goal should be measurable so its applicability can be checked in effective manner. With reference to my personal life experience, success of this goal can be effectively by measuring number of interviews, applications and job offers I have gone through for attaining my goal.
- Achievable: Achievable acronym simply states that whether this goal is achievable or not. This means that whether goal setter have suitable degree for that particular job or not (Locke and Latham, 2015). In context of my own case, it can be said that for the desired job of high school maths teacher, it is essential for me to have bachelor’s degree in the particular stream. According to this, it can be said that my expected goal is achievable as I am pursuing bachelor’s degree and will approach for this specific job in future after completion of my degree.
- Relevant: At this level, relevancy of goal is checked. According to this, goal setter is required to develop relevant goal which does not relies upon any kind of fake promises. With relation to personal experience of mine, I have developed this gaols in relevant manner only as I am expecting my career in academic line only for this I am trying to complete my education in this sector only.
- Time-based: Every goal is required to have timely deadline which maintains focus of desired person towards the same goal until it gets attained (Martin, 2015). In context of my personal goal, I pre developed deadline of three months after completion of my graduation. This alerts me about the passing time and also ensuring that I will definitely attain same goals within the provided timeframe in appropriate manner.
As per the above stated SMART on my personal life experience while taking my own education in bachelor’s degree, I have developed effective goal for moving forward toward professional life. By analysing the developed goal, it can be said that it fulfils all criteria of SMART acronyms in rightful manner which is also supportive in success of same goal within the predetermined timeframe in appropriate manner.
Point 3: Discussion on the application of S.M.A.R.T. acronyms in your own career experiences.
SMART acronyms are also useful in developing goals for professional careers. Adoption SMART goal developing technique is helpful in developing effective goal that will support in attaining success in professional life in quicker manner. In my own career life, I have often developed goals as per SMART criteria in order to move forward toward success. Application of this can be well understood by looking over one of my own experience while developing career goal for my growth. This example is presented as below in appropriate manner along with this its applicability towards its acronym:
“I will earn a promotion to senior customer service representative by completing the required training modules in three months and applying for the role at the end of next quarter”
- Specific: In order to fulfil criteria of specific acronym I have ensure that my objective behind goal must be clear so that I can attain it effectively without any confusion or distraction. In this regard, I have formulated appropriated and clear objective that is to get promoted to the post of senior customer’s representative in the company. Usage of specific goal will help me out in emphasising to single goal and also motivate me time to time towards the same.
- Measurable: As per this acronym, my success can be here measured by looking after efforts taken by me for fulfilling this goal (Munezane, 2015). As per my own developed goal, success of this could be effectively measured by completion of training module in timely manner along with the attainment of appropriate knowledge. This will also include filing the application for the desired post as per norms so that I can effectively earn promotion in authenticate and sorted manner.
- Achievable: In this acronym, it is essential for me to look at those initiatives or factors by which I can easily accomplish the desired goal. With reference to my own professional case, it can be said that for attaining goal of earning promotion, I can easily obtain this by completing necessary training for the same. This will increase chances of earning promotion as with effective training I can develop my knowledge that will strengthen my chance of becoming senior customer service representative in company.
- Relevant: Relevancy of the goal can be checked effectively by analysing whether the person is capable for attaining this or not. In context of current case, it can be said that relevancy of my own professional goal is high. In order to support this statement, it is observed that I have applied for this promotion after completion of my training modules at workplace. This simply ensures that my developed goal is relevant and feasible for career growth.
- Time-based: This depicts that value of every ultimately increases when it is developed with the involved of specific timeline (Junaid and Haar, 2015). As per present career growth goal, it can be said that this goal is relevant and achievable as I have formulated this by predefining time limit that is next business quarter. This ensures me time to time that this is required to be accomplished before completion of next business quarter.
According to the above described framework, it has been analysed that SMART framework of goal setting is helpful for all individuals in developing effective career as well as personal. It is important for all individuals to emphasise on each and every acronym while developing the goal so that it could provide better success to all in appropriate manner.
Point 4: Recommendation to employees and organisation on the importance of goal setting.
On the basis of overall information developed on goal setting theory and SMART acronyms, it can be said that both of these terms collaboratively plays an essential role in growth of the business as it provides effective guidance to both employer and employee towards the path by which they can succeed in quicker manner (Kallio, Kallio and Blomberg, 2015). In this regard, there are certain recommendations provided to both the organisations and employees so that they can effectively use goal setting for improvising their business performance and becoming successful in professional life. These recommendations are described below one by one in effective manner:
- At first, it is recommended to employees as well as organisations to emphasise on combining their personal goals together so that they can attain in quicker manner. In order to support this recommendation, it can be said that if both the employee and company has common goal then they utilise one another’s strength for attaining it in quicker manner. These will directly support them successful in respective professions.
- At next, it is advised to organisations to make effective success plan about the goal in order to ensure all employees that these goals will provide better future opportunities to the company(Katou, 2015). This will ultimately influence of employees towards organisational goal as they find it more successful to themselves too.
- Also, it is suggested to business manager to conduct some meetings for employees and top authority of company. In this meeting, both employees and top authority of company will be informed about importance of goal setting and its importance in the success. This will be soon going to develop interest of employees towards the same. As a result, their motivation level will be high in their respective working. This will also ensure soon accomplishment of their respective goals.
- Furthermore, it is also recommended to business managers that to aware employees and company about value of goal setting in making quicker decision making at workplace.It can be said that adoption of effective goal setting technique allows them in formulating right goal by taking effective decision at right time (Kujala, Lehtimäki and Pučėtaitė, 2016).
By using these recommendations, employees and organisation will be able to develop their knowledge on goal setting and its importance in business context. It will also support them in attaining organisational as well as employee’s goals in quicker manner in effective manner.
The overall report revolves about organisational behaviour in business context. The main emphasise of report is on goal setting theory and its relation with SMART acronyms as in some manner both of them are interrelated with one another. This report is mainly divided into four different sections. The first section has provided information on usage of SMART acronyms in goal setting theory. From this section, it has been identified that every acronym of SMART framework is related to with different principles of goals setting theory that is helpful in developing effective goal in positive manner. In the second and third section, application of SMART acronyms in own or personal life experience and career has been explained in deep manner. This section has revealed that SMART goals are supportive for both kinds of experiences. In this regard, it is essential for individuals to initial understand their own career expectations and then finally develop effective goal by fulfilling criteria of each and every goal in appropriate manner. As a result, it has also been identified that by using this, individuals can easily attain their goals and become success in their career. The last section of this report has explored various recommendations that could be used by business managers for enhancing knowledge of employees and company about goal setting and its importance in business success. Along with this, from this section, it has been analysed that meeting sessions is the best recommendation by which employees of the company can easily develop their knowledge on benefits of goal setting in professional life. Also, they can also improve their performance by implementing in their career. For example, you can read Research on Abundant Produce Limited organization.
- Capello, R. and Kroll, H., 2016. From theory to practice in smart specialization strategy: emerging limits and possible future trajectories. European Planning Studies.24(8). pp.1393-1406.
- Cherry, S., 2017. Transforming behaviour: Pro-social modelling in practice. Willan.
- DaviD, S., 2016. Beyond goals: Effective strategies for coaching and mentoring. Routledge.
- Elsmore, P., 2017. Organisational Culture: Organisational Change?: Organisational Change?. Routledge.
- Geppert, M., 2017. Beyond the Learning Organisation: Paths of Organisational Learning in the East German Context: Paths of Organisational Learning in the East German Context. Routledge.
- Junaid, F. and Haar, J., 2015. Employees Living under Terrorism: Does Positive Organisational Behaviour Provide a Lens for Help (And Hope)?. New Zealand Journal of Human Resources Management, 15.
- Kallio, T. J., Kallio, K. M. and Blomberg, A. J., 2015. Physical space, culture and organisational creativity–a longitudinal study. Facilities.33(5/6). pp.389-411.
- Katou, A. A., 2015. Transformational leadership and organisational performance: Three serially mediating mechanisms. Employee Relations. 37(3). pp.329-353.
- Kitchin, D., 2017. An introduction to organisational behaviour for managers and engineers: A group and multicultural approach. Routledge.