This sample will let you know about:
- Define total quality management.
- Discuss lean principles for quality control.
Organisational excellence is mainly associated with the continuous and ongoing efforts of an organisation or company to establish and built an internal framework of efficient process and standards together with an intent to engage and motivate employees for production and delivering a product and services that meet and fulfil customers expectation and requirement (Anil and Satish, 2019). The business environment in which an organisation operates and the demand and expectation of customers are highly dynamic that has made it necessary for an organization or firm to have proper quality management measures to remain competent and successful in randomly chaining business market. The Engineering Tooling Company (ETC) is founded by an young graduate engineer in the North East area of England during the time period of early 1960's.
The ETC is mainly associated with manufacturing of engineering scribes, calipers, etc. in its starting phase and than expanded its business operations which include creation of micrometers together with a limited range of specialist items. Thus, it become essential for ETC to emphasis more on high quality material and efficient skills of workforce to produce and deliver an accurate and long lasting item. Beside this, ETC is also facing a high level of competition from globalisation together with decline of engineering in North east England therefore, signed a two year contract with North East Hospital Management Board to improve its productivity through manufacturing these cutting edge products at a larger scale. In order to get better recognition for its product at global level it become necessary for ETC to have proper strategies for quality improvement. Thus, this report consists a description about various improvement strategy that includes TQM, quality assurance and control measures in orders to have better sustainable atmosphere and culture of quality in organisation.
Quality is basically a representative of certain level of success in fulfilling and meeting the requirements of customers while creation of a product that implies best experience to consumer and lead an organisation on top together with accomplishment of target of organisational excellence (Isaksson, 2019). ETC is manufacturing organisation situated at North East region of England. This organisation is facing a tough competition due to globalisation and to get better recognition and brand image at global level it become necessary for ETC to project its operations and business process to customers, supplier and investors at a world class level with proper vision, energy and conscience in order to achieve the target of organisational excellence and continuous quality improvement (Kuo and Tsai, 2019). To introduce and have a company-wide quality improvement strategy, ETC must have implication of TQM, quality assurance and quality control measures to sustain the culture of quality in the organisation. Order assignment help from our experts!
Total Quality Management (TQM)
TQM is basically a management approach that facilitates long term success of an organisation through participation of all employees and associated parties to have an efficient work culture, systems and process to ensure continuous improvement in quality of product to meet the expectations of customers (WHAT IS TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT (TQM)?, 2020). Use of TQM approach by ETC organisation facilitates a customers oriented process and ensure that all the allied work and efforts of ETC organisation are towards the common goal of improving product quality through enhancing production process. The key principles of TQM approach which should be followed and effectively implemented by ETC for achievement of objective of company-wide quality improvement are as follows:
- Customer Focused- The quality of product is ultimately determined and checked by customers which states the actual level of quality of a product. Thus, in order to have a continuous improvement in quality the ETC must have a customers focused approach and all the efforts should made to satisfy and meet the expectation of customers (Martin and et. al., 2019). For that purpose, use of better integrated quality design process, efficient technology, advance computer software together with timely employees training and learning program can be made by ETC to deliver and manufacture a customer focused product and services to achieve the target of improvement in quality.
- Total employee involvement- For achievement of target of company wide improvement it is necessary to ensure involvement and participation of all employees so that their efforts can be easily directed towards achievement of desired level of quality. For having the total employees commitment and making them more effective and creative to have manufacture and produce a quality product with accuracy ETC should provide a proper workplace environment. To lead better employee commitment and empowerment use of self managed work team can be made by ETC together with a high performance work system to achieve the target of continuous improvement through proper participation and support of all employees.
- Process- centered- A process is basically related with series of steps and activities that are made for procurement of raw material from a suppliers and includes converting and transforming these raw material into a finished product that are finally delivered to customers (McAdam, Miller and McSorley, 2019). To ensure the overall quality improvement ETC require to properly define each and every steps and process to ensure timely and proper completion of each task. A performance measure should also get implemented by ETC to continuously monitor these processes and activities in order to detect and correct unexpected variation in quality.
- Integrated System- An organisation have different functions and operations but these functions and systems should be properly connected and integrated with each other to achieve excellence and foster a good quality culture. ETC should make efforts to properly integrate its system that should be parallel and align with quality policies, objective and critical process to ensure better business performance and organisation excellence.
- Strategic and systematic approach- ETC should have effective planning and management that includes formulation of plan properly integrated with quality as a core competent to achieve the organizational mission and goals (Metaxas and Koulouriotis, 2019).
- Continual improvement- One of the crucial aspect of TQM is continual process improvement that can be achieved by ETC through motivating its employees for continuous analysis and evaluation of processes and quality in order to find a more creative and unique way to become more competitive and effective in meeting stakeholders and customers expectations and needs.
- Fact- based decision making- ETC organisations should continually collect and analysis data and facts before any decision making to ensure an improved, efficient and accurate decision making on the basis of prediction and learning from past experience which enhance viability, quality and performance of an organisation.
- Communication- To ensure the proper flow of information about the during day to day operations and to maintain the moral and efficiency of employees it is necessary for ETC to have proper communication strategies, methods and timelines. Beside this, effective communication also make it easy foe ETC to direct and guide its employees for achievement of target of company-wide improvement.Need Assignment Samples?Talk to our Experts!
Lean principles for quality control
Lean is basically a quality control technique that is used by organisation to identify and eliminate the flab i.e. dead weight carried process that dose not add any value and hamper overall companies process (Metaxas, Chatzoglou and Koulouriotis, 2019). Use of lean principle by ETC organisation facilitates a better way and technique that emphasis focus on customer satisfaction and cost reduction through identifying and eliminating wasteful processes that result in poorer quality to customers in terms of wastage of both time and material. The important principles of Lean that facilitates effective quality control and lead to company-wide quality improvement in ETC are as follows:
- Identify Value- The first phase of lean process or principles is to identify and evaluate the actual needs and desires of customers. The ETC organisation must keep an eye on its consumers to determine the all possible factors and features required in a product to meet consumer expectations (Nasim, Sikander and Tian, X 2020). After identifying the customers needs and value, ETC should constantly review its product and services to evaluate the flaws and gap so that efforts can be made for further quality improvement.
- Value stream Mapping- It is basically a process of looking into the current business process to locate and identify the process that are not creating any value for customers. ETC must look into its prevailing activity and process to eliminate the wasteful and unnecessary process that facilitates reduction in amount of wastage of inventory and also shorten the time required for manufacturing a product and lead to a faster delivery of products for customers of ETC that yield higher level of satisfaction and overall improvement in quality and operations of ETC.
- Creating Flow- To have better control over quality of processes and products it is necessary for ETC to properly understand the current flow of activity to eliminate the wasteful task (Parvin, 2019). Creating flow principle of Lean ensures an effective value chain for ETC that is free from all interruption in production process and also facilitates a coordination in all activities to have better control and improvement in overall quality of organisation.
- Establish Pull- This principle of lean dictates that nothing should be created or manufactured by ETC until the order is made by customers and before the needs and demands of consumers are fully understood to have better control on manufacturing process and also facilitates production of a quality and customised product as per the demands and requirements of customers.
- Seek Perfection- This aspect of lean principal is related with identification of areas of improvements where effective and meaningful change can be made by ETC to seek most effective process that brings perfection and greatest value for customers (Rahmati, 2019). This principle of lean facilitates continuous improvement in ETC through addressing root cause of quality problems and production waste.
Also Read- Manage people performance
Thus, use of lean principles and process by ETC facilitates better control over quality through tighten the flow of activities and delivering a value product as per the customers needs to ultimately reach the goal of perfection and organisational excellence.
Just in Time approach for quality assurance
The quality of a product is largely dependent on the raw material and inventory used for its production thus, to have an assurance about the quality of product and other business process it become necessary for ETC to have an effective inventory supply approach. Just in Time is basically a inventory strategy and method that suggested that a raw material and inventory should be ordered and received when it is actually need and required for production. This method of Inventory control is useful for ETC as it helps in reducing the cost as well as also assure the better quality product through procurement and use of a fresh and quality stock of raw material (Salim, Sundarakani and Lasrado, 2019). The use of Just in time approach ensure that the raw material ordered and revived is not obsolete and meet the requirement and criteria of current trends and expectations of customers. Beside this, Just in time approach of inventory management keeps warehousing and other stock holding and storing expenses at minimum level which enhance the profit margin of ETC to achieve its target of organisational excellence.
Just in time approach yield better level of flexibility as the order of inventory is made after due analysis of current demand and needs of customers which is quite dynamic thus, making order and procurement of inventory just before the time of production allows signifiant amount of adaptability with respect to meet the changing customers needs. Further, JIT approach also facilitates a better control and check over the quality of raw material to ensure improvement in quality of product manufactured (Shafiq, Lasrado and Hafeez, 2019). To properly adopt and implement the approach of JIT, ETC needs to have an effective supply chain network to ensure the free and uninterrupted flow of raw material for the production process. Beside this, an efficient coordination in employees together with a steady production process is also necessary for ETC organisation to take and avail advantage of JIT approach for quality assurance and company-wide improvement.
Sustainability of the culture of quality in the organisation
Culture of quality is mainly associated with an environment at workplace in which all the employees properly follows the quality guidelines and also consistently focused towards evaluation of new and better ways for continuous quality improvement (Creating a Culture of Quality, 2020). Sustainability of the culture of quality in the organisation is mainly associated with a business approach of creating and leading a long term value for all stakeholders of company including its customers, employees and other associated parties to develop such strategies that foster companies longevity. There are various good practises that can be adopted by ETC to ensure Sustainability of the culture of quality in the organisation which are described as below:
Building business belief: ETC should aim at building and developing overall belief of culture of quality through adopting mission and objective that are directed towards achievement of overall and company-wide quality improvement (Steel, 2019). ETC should implement and adopt such business strategies and polices that meet the requirements of all stakeholders without leading any harm to environment and society.
Focus on excelling in an area and embracing change- To remain sustainable in an dynamic environment the most important thing for any organisation is having continuous changes and modification for adoption of some better and efficient ways and technology to get excellence in production area (Sternad, Krenn and Schmid, 2019). The continuous change and improvement also lead to a culture of quality in ETC through making all its employees and workforce more efficient and focused towards better ways of performing a task in order to achieve the level of excellence in quality of product.
Beside all these practises, ETC can achieve the sustainability of the culture of quality in the organisation through implication of various quality management and improvement strategy like TQM, just in time and Lean principles as they facilitates a better control and quality assurance for achievement of targets of continuous and company-wide improvement in quality of products and processes to counter and handle the competition at global level. It also facilitates achievement of target of organisational excellence for ETC through reduction in wastage and offering a higher quality product to consumers at relatively lower prices to yield maximum satisfaction for them in order to maintain a sustainability of the culture of quality in the organisation. Ask to write my assignment from our experts!
ETC is a manufacturing company which is located at North east region of England and provides a range of engineering scribes, calipers and other micrometer and specialist item to its customer. It is facing a high level of competition form the global level thus, intend to gain better recognition and brand image at international level through achieving continuous quality improvement in its products and process. Use of Key performance indicator (KPI) framework is made to evaluate the current performance and efficiency of ETC organisation.
Through comparing actual performance of ETC with desired level of quality it has been evaluated that the production plant and financial aspects of ETC are well equipped and strong together with a loyal workforce and corporate leaders (Tenji and Foley, 2019). The only issue faced by ETC is associated with high level of competition and decrease in engineering graduates in North East England. Therefore following recommendations are made for ETC to have a company-wide quality improvement strategy to meet the objective of organisational excellence at global level:
- Use of TQM approach together with just in time strategy is recommended for ETC to have a customer focused strategy to properly fulfil the needs and requirements of customers. Implementation of JIT approach ensures use of better quality and a fresh raw material for production and manufacturing of finished goods which assure long term quality of product also reduce the wastage to have better profit margin to achieve the target of organisational excellence.
- Use of lean practises together with adoption and implementation of lean principles is also suggested for ETC to reach a level of perfection through proper control over process and various activities that facilitates a company-wide quality improvement strategy in the ETC. The defining and identifying value of customers together with mapping of value stream allows better control and check over wasteful activity of ETC to achieve the target of perfection and continuous improvement in business activity which ultimately facilitates organisational excellence to meet the competition at global level.
- To handle the issues of decline in engineering graduates in North East region of England it is recommanded for ETC company to provide proper training along with learning and development programmes to enhance the competencies and skills of employees and workforce. A skilled and well trained employees facilitates better quail product together with enhanced productivity and more effective business process and operations to achieve the ultimate goal of company-wide quality improvement together with organisational excellence to cope up with and face competition at global level. A more competent, talented and creative workforce lead to production of a better and more unique product with great accuracy that will provide better recognition and brand image to ETC at global level.
On the basis of above assignment it can be summarised that globalisation has enhanced the issues of high level of competition for organisation thus, to counter this challenge continuous and overall improvement in quality has became necessary for an organisation. Use of various improvement strategies like TQM, just in time, lean principles, etc. are made by company to ensure company wide quality improvement and to counter the dynamic demands of customers.
TQM approach put emphasis on customer focused approach and factual decision making which lead to improvement in quality of product as it meet the expectations and requirements of customers. JIT approach is mainly associated with flow of inventory and ensure use of better quality raw material for assurance of quality of end product. At last, it can be concluded that use of lean practises lead to better quality control through having a continuous check and tightening the flow of activity to remove and eliminate the wasteful task which ensure offering of quality product.
Also Read- International Marketing