An organisation without a leader is just like a group of individuals who share their work space to earn a living but without a directional path. Every business organisation has to have a leader who has a vision and skills to guide and lead this group or collection of people for achieving set goals and objectives. In this report, the basic situation of UPS Company has been assessed and examined. The selection and recruitment procedure which must be adapted by this organisation has been evaluated in this report. Moreover, different leadership styles and skills are also described ahead. The attributes which are responsible for effective functioning of a company have also been depicted in this assessment that provides an understanding regarding efficient teamwork. UPS Company has to overcome its barriers in progress by realising and recognising the need of training and development for employees. A development plan has been depicted in this report for gaining knowledge regarding the same.
1.1 Selection and recruitment process
UPS Company is suffering from severe crisis in terms of profits and human resource. The selection and recruitment of individuals in the company is the most important process because it helps in estimating the future of organisation. Incorrect tactics used in recruitment lead to selection of incapable candidates which results in wastage of resources (Kundu, Rattan and Gahlawat, 2015). UPS Company can use a recruitment and selection process which is very strict and monitored at each and every stage by the HR (Human Resource) Manager. It is the duty of Human resource management to conduct efficient recruitment and selection process so that efficient and profitable employees are taken into consideration for investment.
UPS Company has to revise its process of interviewing and selecting the candidates. The new process must include certain quality check points which are established for monitoring eligible candidates throughout the selection procedure. The interview rounds can be extended to up-to three in number which will include technical round, skills test and a personal interview which will be conducted by the HR manager itself. Proper checking of documentations must be performed with cross examination and background information check. The following lists of documents are conside.
red essential for UPS Company’s recruitment and selection process:
- Certificate of graduation with mark sheets
- Validation certificates for training(if any)
- Documents of background information validated by respective government official
- Skills validation certificate
1.2 Impact of legal, regulatory and ethical considerations
All the activities in an organisation are guided by a legal framework which is designed and implemented by government of country. It is important to design the recruitment and selection process of organisation according to the legal and regulatory structures. This creates authentication to the entire procedure and candidates won’t feel that they are being cheated or exploited for personal benefits of organisation. Current functioning of UPS Company is very casual which means that less preference is given to ethical considerations and legal policies or regulatory frameworks. The impact of such policies and frameworks is assessed in the form of increase or decrease in quality of candidates that are working in organisation.
Legal policies and regulations help in reducing unfair practises. Individuals who are conducting the interviews and are a part of entire selection and recruitment procedure must be monitored. Often people want to grab the job position by use of referral system. This implies that even non-eligible candidate would acquire the position of a deserving candidate. When legal policies are implemented and communicated to the individuals involved in recruitment and selection process by Human resource management. Acts like the Employment Protection Act 1978, Health and Safety at Workplace Act, etc. are some of the legislations which UPS has to follow for developing an effective recruitment and selection process.
Regulatory considerations includes regulations that has to be followed by the company. Every country has its own rules and regulations. It is required for the Company to not ship dangerous goods such as chemicals and lithium batteries.
Ethical considerations enhance the decision making process of recruitment and selection process because they force the interviewers and judging panel to take fair decisions (Abraham and et. al., 2015). Skilled and deserving candidates are selected in UPS Company when all these attributes are included in recruitment and selection process.
1.3 Selection process
The selection and recruitment process of UPS Company has been revised and implemented by me i.e. the HR Manager of this firm. Following stages are clearly defined so that responsibilities are dictated appropriately to people included in the selection process.
- Recognition of needs: Weak administration of UPS Company has indulged many employees to leave the company. This implies there is a need for new candidates who are skilled and equipped with knowledge which is essential for organisation. I recognised this need and formulated the new recruitment procedure.
- Development of advertisement: Advertisements are circulated on both physical and online media. From newspapers, magazines, brochures and social media networks; the company has reached out candidates through all possible platforms.
- Acquiring information of applicants: Large number of candidates will apply for respective position according to the advertisements. HR department of UPS Company has to take charge of separating different profiles and filter non-relevant ones.
- Screening and background check: The HR department has to screen and check backgrounds of filtered candidates. Once, this stage is accomplished the candidates must be given information that they have been selected for interview (Conaty and Charan, 2011). All the details regarding the same must be formulated respectively.
- Conducting interviews: Three tier interview processes is initiated which examines and evaluates each and every skill and ability of individual candidate. In depth interviewing will help in choosing the right candidate for UPS Company.
- Selection of individuals: The candidates who have cleared all the levels are selected and informed about respective job attributes (Dessler, 2014).
- Induction trainings: Selected individuals are provided induction trainings which helps in understanding whether the prospective candidate is eligible to work within the companys or not.
UPS is one of the largest parcel service company in UK. Currently they are facing issues with management and administration. Weakness of the company was identified so that areas that needs improvement can be analysed. Thus, they require employees that could help in managing services in UK. For that, recruitment process was conducted. Advertisements were given on internet and newspaper for the needs of employee with good management skills. Applications were received in huge number. Applications were screened according to the requirement and their background was checked. Selected candidates were called for further rounds of interview. After certain rounds, desired candidates were selected and training was provided to them on how to conduct work.
We tend to help you at every step regarding Academic Assistance
Get your Assignments Now!
1.4 Contribution to selection process
Being the HR manager of UPS Company, I have a lethal responsibility towards organisation. One of these basic duties includes use of power for appropriate selection and recruitment process. I have myself monitored the data that was analysed for recognising the needs of enterprise. It is the foundational step of recruitment and selection process (Donate and de Pablo, 2015). The advertisement that was prepared for acquiring applicants from across the country was published in different media. I have examined candidates during their interview process. My role was major in the personal interview section and the market reasoning interview. This screening helped in acknowledging reasoning skills of candidates in different situations. Finally, some briefing was provided to candidate regarding salary structure and job profile for which they have been selected (Noe and et.al., 2013). This briefing was partially conducted by me. As part of my role of the HR manager I have contributed sufficiently in looking after the execution of selection and recruitment procedure.
Evaluation of self-contribution are acquired as follows:
- Preparation of advertisement was one of the very good step as it helped many individuals to know about the job opportunity. Advertisement increased opportunity for large number of applicants.
- If somebody is assigned some sort of power it should always be used In positive direction making benefits for others.
2.1 Skills and attributes for leadership
Leaders are the most important people in a company. Due to weak leadership and lack of administration skills UPS Company faced critical situation in the past. Following characteristics and leadership skills are significantly required in organisational heads so that efficient working is ensured.
- Vision: A vision is important for developing strategies or action plans. This helps in getting a direction where the company shall go in near future. Leaders must have to capability to acquire a vision so that his followers may get a direction to work with. UPS Company lacked a vision and objective which means they were working hopelessly.
- Focus: Once a vision is acquired and directions are set, the second foremost quality in a leader must be focus. Activities and business operations should be aligned with set objectives and goals. This depicts that focus is important in designing business processes (Tarba and Cooper, 2016).
- Integrity: UPS Company may have employees working from different cultural backgrounds and with different behavioural attributes. Leader has to maintain integrity in his functioning by being unbiased and non-discriminatory towards the functioning of his team.
- Acceptance: Mistakes can be committed by any person and in any circumstance depending on various factors. If a mistake has occurred due to leader, then he/she must have the quality to accept their faults and produce an example in front of the followers that it is not bad to accept mistakes. Moreover, this helps in portraying honesty towards organisation (Vermeeren, Kuipers and Steijn, 2014).
- Ethical governance: Fair decisions and ethical practises are a must for every leader and head who is performing in the organisation. Ethical governance is the skill which leader should portray in UPS Company so that individuals do not feel exploited or neglected at any point.
For example, UPS can apply these attributes to improve its management and administration system. It should identify area where mistakes have been made which caused failure of business. Employees of different culture are required to be analysed and they should be given work according to their background so that communication gap can be reduced. Focus of the company should be set to establish good management in the company.
2.2 Leadership and management
Leadership and management are like two sides of a coin. But there are various differences between these two attributes. UPS Company must focus in imbibing effective leadership and management in the organisational structure so that better development and implementation of strategies is guaranteed. The essence of leadership lies in togetherness and overall development while management is focused totally on completion of tasks (Abraham and et. al., 2015).
2.3 Different leadership styles
The various leadership styles which can be implemented in the functioning structure of UPS Company are discussed as follows:
- Autocratic leadership: The leaders that portray dominance in their decision making processes and do not allow much interference or suggestions in their governing structure, are considered as autocratic leaders. Being quick decision makers, these individuals do not bother much about employee interests but work for betterment of the company (5 Different types of leadership styles. 2017). Example: In the recruitment process, which applicant has to be selected would not be decided by the other employees of the company. It is the decision making that would involve only HR management team and director of the UPS company.
- Democratic leadership: Decisions that are taken with active participation or involvement of employees and certain senior executives are called democratic decisions. This type of judgements is made in democratic leadership and under the influence of democratic leaders UPS Company can excel but with a slow rate. This also implies that effectiveness of such decisions are quite valid for a long term. For instance: In the UPS company, if management want to introduce certain changes regarding work time issues, they can include employees of the company also as they are the only people that would require change . Therefore, it is justified to involve employees in the decision making process.
- Transformational leadership: Modern day business organisations aim at sustainability which can be acquired only when there is overall development in terms of profit, society and employees. Transformational leaders work with this objective and do not allow personal needs and demands to take over the actual requirements of organisation. They have a quality of thinking organisational benefits and working selflessly for the benefit of their followers (5 Different types of leadership styles. 2017). Large amount of employee motivation with steady growth is experienced in transformational leadership. For example: UPS company is facing workplace issues, meetings can be conducted to encourage employees to provide feedback so that issues can be resolved.
2.4 Ways to motivate staff
Here, Maslow Need Hierarchy theory has been applied that helps in encouraging the workers of UPS.
- Physiologiocal needs- It assesses that UPS employees are required to obtain basic needs such as food, clothing and shelter.
- Safety needs- Management of UPS is required to provide proper safety needs so that they could protect their family and thus obtain proper security in the form of stability of job etc.
- Belongingness- It is essential for UPS employees to develop relations with friends and family so that work could be carried out in an effective way.
- Esteem needs- It is essential for UPS workers to develop a sense of achievement and self respect so that work could be carried out in an effective way.
- Self actualization needs- It is significant for realizing personal potential and self fulfilment and thus experience effective results for UPS workers.
Motivation is considered as the crucial task that helps in encouraging staff towards achieving desired objectives. Therefore, it is essential for leaders to encourage its workforce by providing different financial and non-financial rewards and thus help them to more towards business objectives (Gurtner and et.al., 2007). Management of UPS aims to encourage its workforce through providing them effective workplace environment and thus enhances their productivity so that set targets could be attained. UPS aims to empower its workers by providing them both financial and non financial rewards and thus it helps them to improve their efficiency by being focused towards the set targets. Following are the different ways that motivates staff within UPS such as-
- Open communication- Such type of communication among workers helps them to freely interact with each other and overcome conflicts faced within workplace. Therefore, it is essential for UPS management to undertake effective communication methods and directly communicate with top management in order to help them in decision making (Guthridge, 2010).
- Providing opportunities- UPS management also focuses upon providing unique opportunities such as leading groups to its employees which helps in encouraging their morale. Thus, it would assist them in satisfying their goals and improve efficiency (Hrebiniak, 2013).
- Reward- It is essential for cited firm to provide monetary rewards to its employees who reaches benchmarks. Thus, it is the best way in encouraging staff to move towards desired targets (Hutchens, 2000).
3.1 Benefits of team working for UPS company
Following are the benefits of team working within UPS firm such as-
- Develops creativity and learning- Team working in UPS helps in fostering creativity and learning through carrying out brainstorming activities and thus combine the ideas of different team members in order to improve efficiency so that success can be attained (Gallagher, 2005).
- Develops trust- Further, it is another benefit of team working and thus management of UPS helps in developing trust among its members so that strong relationship could be developed. For instance it is beneficial for UPS to identify the strengths of every team member so that co-workers are able to rely upon each other and enable them to perform desired tasks (Hrebiniak, 2013).
- Increased innovation- Businesses relies that through encouraging team working it would benefit them in such form that firm increases its workplace environment and bring innovative products or services with the help of employees (Guthridge, 2010). Hence, team work is considered as the best way through which benefits can be attained.
UPS management is required to review the effectiveness of the team through time to time so that they can attain desired goals. Thus, through reviewing it would prove effective for firm to identify the need of specific training required by any employee then they can provide the same to them. Hence, it would help in improving efficiency and attain stated objectives (Johnson and Guetal, 2012). For instance, it is essential for UPS to identify the benefits of team working as it helps in improving the performance of firm. Also, it helps firm in improving the business functions so that desired results could be attained.
3.2 Importance of working in a team as a leader and member
It is essential for both leader and member to work effectively within business so that they can attain desired objectives and deal conflicts faced within management and workers. Thus, such conflict situation needs to be overcome and thus works effectively within team to perform the desired tasks (Noe and et.al., 2013). In the below table ites the different between leader and member upon different basis. Following is the significance of working in a team as a leader and member in order to solve conflict situation such as-
3.3 Effectiveness of team in achieving goals
UPS is facing serious issues related to management and standards of company and therefore they are suffering losses due to failure of delivery in time. Thus, company is facing issues related to leadership, management and administration and therefore they need to carry out effectiveness within its team members so that desired goals could be attained (De Roeck and et.al., 2014). Through reviewing the team effectively, management of UPS Company aims to identify their loopholes and thus providing specific training would result into enhancing efficiency so that issues could be overcome. Following are the different ways through which UPS could review the effectiveness of team in achieving the goals such as-
- Raising group performance- Leader of UPS requires raising their group performance in such a way that assists in improving the skills and capabilities of workers in regard to attain desired goals (Guthridge, 2010). After, reviewing the effectiveness it identifies that firm needs to manage team performance and thus enhance UPS delivery time to attain customer satisfaction.
- Participation and involvement- Further, reviewing the effectiveness would help in raising participation and involvement of workers within business tasks so that they can overcome the issues faced within recruitment and selection can be described as poor and 'lacking in proper checks and balances (Gurtner and et.al., 2007). For instance, UPS employees need to participate within firm in regard to attain organizational tasks.
- Goal achievement- It is essential for UPS team to develop effectiveness and efficiency so that they could attain desired goals on time. Therefore, it is significant for firm to focus upon their workers and thus success could be attained effectively and efficiently.
4.1 Factors involved in planning the monitoring and assessment of work performance
It is essential for business to carry out effective planning the monitoring and assessment of work performance within UPS which are as follows-
- Performance appraisal- It is one of the effective factor which is involved within planning the monitoring and assessment of work performance of individuals within UPS and thus helps them to carry out effective performance. UPS carries out such factor in regard to identify the performance of different employees and thus carry out effective duties and responsibilities so that desired targets can be attained (Johnson and Guetal, 2012).
- Carrying out assessment plan- It helps in appropriately assessing the training requirements within individual member of UPS and thus preparing proper personal development plan so that training needs could be identified. It helps them to improve their current skills and thus raise their performance to attain desired results (Nessim, 2011).
- Regular monitoring system- Further, it is another factor for assessing and monitoring the work performance of individual employees within UPS. Leaders of firm are required to carry out effective monitoring system and thus identify the requirement of training so that particular training could be provided to them in regard to improve their performance (Noe and et.al., 2013).
View Samples on coursework, essay, and dissertation
4.2 Assessment of the development needs
Leaders of UPS company aims to assess the development needs of individual workers within business and thus carry out effective performance in regard to perform the task in an effective and efficient way (Mathis and John, 2014). Following is the plan which is being prepared in regard to assess the development needs of individuals within UPS such as-
- Setting targets- It is the first step in order to assess the development needs and thus employees of UPS aim to measure their performance towards the set targets (Karaszewski, 2010). However, they need to assess their performance and thus improve business performance.
- Assessing performance level- Further, management of UPS Company identifies the requirement of improving performance level of workers and thus raise the productivity of firm in market. However, it would result into carrying out effective performance and thus assess the need of development of workers to deliver fast services and satisfy customer needs (Jonathan, 2010).
- Identifying the feedback- It is the last step of the plan and thus assesses the development needs through obtaining feedback and also reviews the performance of workers within UPS so that appropriate services could be delivered to customers (Dessler, 2014).
The training plan prepared found to be effective for UPS employees, therefore, it is essential for management to undertake effective strategies and thus focus upon the needs of workers so that desired objectives could be attained. It is essential to keep close monitoring upon the work and thus required training session need to be provided so that skills of workers could be improved.
4.3 Success of the assessment process
Assessment process is being carried out in regard to evaluate the success of business goals. Thus, it is essential for UPS employees to undertake effective practice and thus evaluate the performance of firm so that desired targets could be attained. Through carrying out the assessment process within UPS Company it helps in improving the performance of business and maintaining its performance back on track. Leaders work towards attaining the objectives of firm and carry out effective assessment process so that best results can be attained (De Roeck and et.al., 2014). Following are the methods evaluated in regard to measure the success of assessment process used within UPS company-
- Observation- It is one of the effective method through which success of assessment needs within UPS Company could be measured so that company can come back on right track. Further, it also helps in improving the performance of employees within cited firm and thus observes their work procedure so that needs of assessment could be identified which helps in raising the performance of individuals (Conaty and Charan, 2011). For instance, it is the best way through which performance needs of individuals could be assessed and thus enhance the delivery service of firm in market.
- Performance sheet- Further, it is another method which helps in evaluating the success of performance needs so that company can maintain its performance and it could be back on right track so that employees can raise their performance standards. Therefore, through assessing the needs of success it would help workers to raise their performance and attain set targets within UPS Company (Gallagher, 2005).
It can be concluded from the study that UPS Company aims to encourage its staff by providing them both financial and non financial rewards so that it helps them to enhance their performance within firm. Also, it is essential for cited organization to undertake effective leadership skill and attributes i.e. communication, leadership and motivation that would help in making effective decision making so that performance of firm in market could be raised. Also, evaluating the development needs would help in improving the success of firm in market and enhance the performance of workers within market. Also, evaluating the performance needs would help business in bringing back the UPS on track and thus raise their performance to a great extent.
- Abraham, M. and et. al., 2015. A Review of Smes Recruitment and Selection Dilemma: Finding a'Fit'.The Journal of Developing Areas,49(5), pp.335-342.
- Antonacopoulou, E., 2016. Practising Innovating through Learning-in-Crisis: Realising the Impact of Man-Agement in HRM Practice. InHuman Resource Management, Innovation and Performance(pp. 266-281). Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- Conaty, B. and Charan, R., 2011. The Talent Masters: Why Smart Leaders Put People Before Numbers. Crown Publishing Group
- De Roeck, K. and et.al., 2014. Understanding employees' responses to corporate social responsibility: mediating roles of overall justice and organisational identification. The international journal of human resource management. 25(1). pp.91-112.
- Dessler, G., 2014. Human Resource Management.Prentice Hall.