It is very important to protect food from various bacteria and disease. It is because food contamination can lead to several diseases that is very harmful for humans. Nutritious and healthy food will lead to a healthy life (Baron and Brule, 2016). The main purpose to implement food safety management is to meet consumer needs. Also, it helps in improving quality of food and providing a healthy and hygienic environment. The practices followed in this helps in taking effective control measures to prevent food from getting contaminated. Besides this, through international food standards it ensures that trading of food can be done in safely. This report will show how food is prevented from contamination. Also, what are the various food laws that is followed.
1.1 Discuss the controls required to prevent physical and chemical contamination of food
In order to control physical and chemical contamination of food various control measures can be taken. These are as follows :-
Physical contamination can be prevented by covering the open body area. This can be done by wearing hear net and mouth mask (Lee, Kim and Ryu, 2016). Also, jewellery must be removed while preparing food. Besides this, cooking area or kitchen should be kept pest free by keeping flytraps and zapper.
Chemical contamination can be prevented by keeping away sanitizer and detergent from vessels and food items. Second thing that can be done is keeping away containers in which chemicals are stored.
1.2 Compare the characteristics of food poisoning and food borne infections
These both are caused by eating contaminated food. Food borne disease are caused by eating contaminated food while food poisoning is a form of food borne disease (Motarjemi and Lelieveld, 2014). Food borne disease is often cause
1.3 Discuss how food-borne illnesses can be controlled
Food borne diseases are caused due to eating contaminated food. The food get contaminated from different things. Thus, in order to control food borne disease various control measures can be taken. First of all while cooking food cleanliness and proper hygiene must be maintained. The water used should be bacteria free. Raw food items must be stored and preserved in refrigerator. This will reduce the chances of having bacteria in it. Beside this, the room temperature should be moderate while cooking food (Koutsoumanis and Gougouli, 2015). These all measures will help in controlling food borne disease.
2.1 Categorise the food-spoilage agents that affect food
Food Spoilage Agents
Foods affected by each food spoilage agent.
Any contamination in water will affect food.
Storing food in low temperature will lead to food spoilage.
AC2.2: Discuss methods of food preservation.
AC2.3: Evaluate the effectiveness of food preservation methods.
Packing and storage
It helps in reducing growth of bacteria in food. Also, keeping in fridge helps keeping food fresh.
Storing food in glass, metal and plastic containers helps in preventing food from deteriorating.
In this items like raw meat, fish, etc. can be stored. It helps in maintaining its quality.
Temperature controlling system.
It helps in keeping food safe from bacteria.
3.1 Key steps in temp control system
Various key steps are been taken in consideration that lay a very significant impact on the food storage system. Some major steps that are been taken in consideration are as follows:
- Delivery: the delivery will include the delivering of the better quality of food products on the controlled temperature that will help the organisation to provide good quality edible products and services to customers (Xiong and Zheng, 2017).
- Storage: the storage of the food item on the appropriate temperature is also very necessary. This approach prevents the contamination of food product and will help in te better handling of preventive measures to protect the food item to get affected by micro organisation and other contamination factors.
- Preparation: the temperature of preparing the food item is also the major factor that is needed to be taken in consideration by the organisation to prevent the food products and edibles from getting spoiled by the micro organisms.
- Cooking: when the food is cooked on appropriate temperature, it kills the microbes and makes the food safe for human consumption (Kussaga and Jacxsens, 2015).
- Cooling: cooling down the food item on a specific temperature will help in reducing the number of contamination factors in a food item.
3.2 Methods of safe storage of food
Various methods are been taken in effective consideration to store the food products safely are as follows:
- Freezing: it is most effective way of food storage. In this approach, the food is stored on a very low temperature to reduce or kill the micro organisms and saves the food from getting contaminated.
- Drying: in this approach the food items are been dried and dehydrated to reduce the water content to prevent contamination. This will reduce the chances of food article getting spoiled by microorganisms and germs.
- Adding salt: Salt solution or brine water is considered as one of the well known preservative ( Zwietering, 2016). It slows downs the fermentation process thus reduce the contamination of food.
- Using preservatives: Artificial preservatives can be added in the perishable food items that will help in the better handling of the contamination process of food items. Although it is been less used in food items, considering the adverse effect they can have on the health of consumer.
3.3 Compare the role of personal Hygiene in controlling of the food contamination.
The personal hygiene plays a very crucial and vital role in managing of the contamination process of the perishable food items in effective way. The maintaining of personal hygiene will not only help in the better handling of the food contamination. Besides this, the cleanliness and controlling of unsafe food handling measures will help the firm to keep a better control over the food contamination process and maintain the health level of the consumers (Green and Kane, 2014). The various hygiene measures that are been taken in consideration are such as washing hands before eating, and after taking the meal, washing the food items like vegetables before cooking them, avoiding smoking, drinking and other activities at the area of food preparation. Avoiding the sneezing, coughing and usage of perfumes or other chemicals near the food.
Besides this, usage of clean and germ free utensils for cooking the food items will help in better handling of the controlling of contamination process. Also, the cooking staff must maintain the proper health condition in order to prevent serious issues such as nausea, fever and food poisoning.
3.4 Evaluate cleaning and disinfection as a process supporting safe food production.
The cleaning and disinfection process plays a very deep and crucial role in maintaining of the food safety and preventing the contamination of edible food items (Charalambous and Smith, 2015). The proper cleaning and washing of food items, utensils, work place and even cloths will help in better management of the safe food production process. The disinfection process will help in keeping the harmful bacteria, microorganisms and other contamination factors to be in effective control and meet the operational requirements of proper and safe food production in the premises. This will also help in maintaining the health care measures to safe guard the people from food related diseases. Other than this, it will also help the food makers to take the effective measure to use the proper and fresh ingredients to prepare the food items. Cleaning the utensils and other equipment's with proper disinfectant to prevent the attack of micro organisms on edible sources and food items (Mikulsen and Diduck, 2016).
Besides this, it will help the food firm to reduce the legal pressure and conflicts related to food. And will help the cited business organization to handle the wide range of business operations in a much better way. Other than this, this approach will be used to maintain the food quality.
3.5 Assess the problems associated with pest control in food premises.
The effective control of the pests like mouse, cockroaches, ants etc. is very important that will help in better handling of food safety measures in food premises. These pests act as the carrier of disease causing micro organisms that can cause the effective handling of the food safety measure at a food preparation area (Jordan, 2016). The organization has to look after the proper eradication of the pests at the work place that will help in the better management of business organization that will help in significant increase in effective handling of food preparation functions. Besides this, the better handling of different pest control measures will also help in effective rise in the health safety measures that will be followed in food premises.
Different measures like performing a pest control at work place, fixing of cracks and gaps to prevent the residing of cockroaches. Using disinfectant and disposing of food items contaminated by pests can help in better food safety at premises.
3.6 Justify the need for hygienic design and construction of food premises.
The proper designing of the hygienic design and construction of the proper structure and framework will help in the better handling of the high range of business operations that will help in the better controlling of food contamination and maintaining of food safety at the premises (Sawe, Onyango and Njage, 2014) This will not only prevent the spoilage and wastage of food but will also help in keeping a check on the food safety measures are been followed by the organization and other than will help in keeping a check on the proper handling of business operation related to food preparation.
Besides this, it will help the employee's and staff at the food premises to maintain the anti contamination measures that will help in better handling of pest and other micro organisms control and ensure the safe and good food consumption by the user or common people. Other than this, it will help in maintaining the quality of food products and services and prevent any sort of spreading of diseases.
3.7 Justify the importance of training as a quality assurance mechanism.
The proper training in maintaining quality assurance in food firm will help the organization to maintain standard of food that will help in meeting the quality and safety measures (Tzamalis, Panagiotakos and Drosinos, 2016) Other than this, it will help in maintaining the high quality safety measure that will help in improving the food safety and keeping the people safe and healthy. It will also help the food organization to take in consideration proper safety measures that will help in handling of different sort of business operations and supporting the quality of good food.
Other than this, it will help the organization to grow and develop as a safe and high quality organization that will help in meeting the needs and demands of its customers and will help in handling the better production of superior quality of food products. This will help the firm to meet the satisfaction level of its customer and gain a market sustainability.
4.1 Produce a food hazard risk assessment
Food poisoning- it can be caused by eating contaminated food. For reducing this risk food must be stored and kept in cool place that is in refrigerator.
Food infection- it can be caused by eating contaminated food. For reducing this risk food should be prepared in proper way.
4.2: Complete a food safety control system
Food safety control system states that how food will be protected. It consists of policies and guidelines developed by government to ensure food safety. It contains food law that has to be followed (Gao and Sheng, 2015) There are various legislation aspects included in this. They are as follows :-
- There should be high level of health protection
- It should have the provision of providing right and accurate information must be provided to consumers.
- It should ensure that only safe and fairly food is placed in the market.
- There should be transparency in developing of food laws and information (Xiong and Zheng, 2017).
- There should be proper risk assessment, risk management followed by organization.
AC 4.3: Devise a food safety guide for legislation compliance.
To ensure that food laws are been followed properly or not, restaurant must monitor the quality of food. They must evaluate it by so that it will help in making improvements. The food law followed in restaurant should involve a transparent process. It must be developed by considering customer feedback (Kussaga and Jacxsens, 2015). Besides this, it will help in providing effective information to people who are preparing food. By this it will be easy to improve quality of food.
It is concluded in this report that the contamination of food occurs in two ways that is physical and chemical. For controlling it certain measures are taken. Food poisoning is a form of food borne disease. Food borne diseases are caused due to eating contaminated food. Various key steps are been taken in consideration that lay a very significant impact on the food storage system. Cleaning and disinfection process play a very deep and crucial role in maintaining food safety. An effective control of the pests like mouse, cockroaches, ants etc. is very important. Proper designing and construction of structure and framework will help in better handling of business operations. Proper training in maintaining quality assurance in food firm will help the organization to maintain standard of food.
- Baron, F. and Brule, G., 2016. Food safety control.Handbook of Food Science and Technology 1, pp.195-204.
- Charalambous, M. and Smith, M., 2015. Implementation of Food Safety Management Systems in small food businesses in Cyprus.Food Control,57, pp.70-75.
- Gao, Y. and Sheng, J., 2015. Fortified food safety management in the United States and its implications to our country.Journal of Food Safety and Quality,6(7), pp.2587-2594.
- Green, R.M. and Kane, K., 2014. The effective enforcement of HACCP based food safety management systems in the UK.Food control,37, pp.257-262.
- Jordan, C., 2016.Safe food safe people management system: enhancing compliance with safety legislation in Irish food and drink manufacturing SMEs(Doctoral dissertation).
- Koutsoumanis, K.P. and Gougouli, M., 2015. Use of time temperature integrators in food safety management.Trends in Food Science & Technology,43(2), pp.236-244.