Human resource can be defined as the man power of an organisation who are responsible for conducting various kinds of activities and procedures to gain desired outcomes. HRM is all about to manage staff members of an organisation with allocating tasks or activities to create better outputs. It is very essential to manage the staff members to prepare an effective as well as efficient manner to attain better results (Ekwoaba, Ikeije and Ufoma, 2015). It is necessary to allocate different types of processes to people as per their field of expertise so that they can perform well comfortably and create desired outcomes in an enterprise. This report is based on Mark & Spencer which is major British multinational retailer head quartered in City of Westminster, London. It was founded in the year 1884 and deals in selling of clothing, home products and luxury food items. This assignment will discuss about functions along with purpose of human resource management. Profits of HRM practices with their applications and several legislations that are required to be followed by organisation will be described below.
P1 Purpose and functions of HRM applicable to workforce planning
Various types of purposes and functions in company are carried out by human resource management. It includes different activities and procedures which are performed by employees to generate desired outputs. This is mandatory to assign several projects or contracts as per field of expertise then they can perform more efficiently because of having appropriate knowledge about that specific field. Mark & Spencer have to establish an effective human resource management with several purpose and function which are given below.
Functions of HRM
- Performance appraisal :- It can be described as to carried out several appraising procedures to motivate staff members to perform well in future for creating better results (Keep and James, 2010). Mark & Spencer have to conduct certain appraising activities like certification, rewards, incentives and so on which can encourage morale of employees to improve productivity as well as profitability on regular basis.
- Training and development :- Training or learning activities are required to be conducted in companies to increases skills and abilities of workers so that they become able to enhance their productivity regularly. Mark & Spencer have to organise various training and development events to raise capabilities of workers so that outcomes of daily basis will be increased.
- Compensation and benefits :- There are several types of compensation that are rendered to employees as per excellent performance criteria of organisation. It is essential to provide certain benefits to workers so as to make them feel loyal for enterprise and work properly. Mark & Spencer have to render certain benefits according to working outputs of employees to motivate them for future.
- Recruitment and selection :- This is an important and major function of HRM through which hiring of desired candidates by different methods will takes place (Cordner and Cordner, 2011). Recruitment and selection of well skilled or experienced person is mandatory to fulfil vacant position so that they can complete roles and responsibilities of particular designation effectively as well as efficiently.
Purpose of HRM
- Promote company culture :- An effective culture and environment of company is compulsory to facilitate comfortable working of employees to create better outcomes. Mark & Spencer have to prepare an efficient policies to maintain comfortable and peaceful cultural environment of organisation so that workers become competent to perform in better way to gain desired outcomes.
- Comply to government policies :- There are different types of legal rules or norms that are made by government authorities and are compulsory to be followed by companies. It is important to follow several modifications and such legislations must be implemented by Mark & Spencer to conduct business in effective manner.
- Engage employees :- Several meetings or conferences are carried out by organization to discuss about specific project or procedures to make it more efficient and working criteria of it (Rees and Rumbles, 2010). It is essential to involve employees to certain meetings which is relevant to their field of working along with asking for suggestions to them. This will help to make feeling valuable to workers and gain better choices of alternatives for achieving desired results in Mark & Spencer .
- Innovate resources :- There are different kinds of resources which can be utilised in more innovative or creative manner to make an optimum utilisation for gaining maximum outputs. Mark & Spencer may use this technique to improve productivity as well as profitability of company.
The above mentioned purposes and functions are necessary to be carried out by human resource management of an organisation for attaining desired outcomes. It is essential to make effective utilisation of resources for achieving maximum outputs. It is important to allocate different tasks or procedures to employees as per their expert knowledge field so that they can perform well and generate efficient outcomes (Taylor, 2014).
P2 Strengths and weaknesses of different approaches to recruitment and selection
Recruitment and selection can be described as a process of hiring desired candidates as per desire education, experience, skills or abilities which are required for specific designation. It includes internal and external mode of selecting people which may be carried out by Mark & Spencer as per requirement. Some of them are given below along with strengths and weaknesses.
External sources :- This is a kind of method which is useful to conduct recruitment and selection to hire new talents for gaining opportunities for organisation. It provides support to gain fresh and creative people to fulfil vacant designation in appropriate manner.
- College campus :- There are different companies which are surviving in current market scenario and they carried out college campus drives in various colleges from which they have better links or connections. It will facilitate to fulfil desires of hiring candidates in bulk for specific position such as sales executives.
- Factory gates :- Various kinds of workers are observed who are ready for employment at factory gate on regular basis. These people are considered as semi skilled that are selected for specific project or labour work (McGraw, 2013).
- Advertisement :- This refers to render an attractive display of advertisements about vacancies along with salary package, working hours, location, designation and contact details through different modes. Interested candidates can apply for particular job by rendering resume on provided email id.
· It helps in facilitate fresh talents to fulfil roles or responsibilities of specific designation.
· It will render support to attain better and creative thoughts or ideas from new employees.
· Candidates feel bad and get demoralised which reduce their confidence level.
· This technique may considered as little bit costly for company.
Internal sources :- This method of hiring workers is all about to shift more efficient employees to different designations and branches of Mark & Spencer.
- Present employees :- This may refers to make references of friend, relative and knowns from current employees to complete the vacant positions in company.
- Transfer :- It is all about to make transfer of present staff member to different branch at a place of same company with similar roles or duties (Board, 2017).
- Promotion :- This procedure can be described as to make vertical transfer in which an individual gets higher designation along with increased salary and power of authority.
· Employees get motivated and make feel valuable which facilitate to become loyal for company.
· Error and mistakes are not happen mostly due to having accurate knowledge about skills of worker.
· Some of designations in company required fresh talents and innovative thoughts then it is not appropriate.
· In this method, possibility of partial behaviour by superior can be observed in organisation.
There are different types of methods like internal and external which may utilised by Mark & Spencer as per requirement of skilled candidate in company. It is also analysed that these techniques have several strengths and weaknesses according to which organisations can apply them for desired results (Bryson, James and Keep, 2013).
P3 Benefits of different HRM practices for both the employer and employee
HRM practices are important to be implemented for carrying out various kinds of required activities and procedures to gain better outcomes. Events of human resource management are necessary to be conducted for fulfilling desires of Mark & Spencer. There are various types of benefits which are attained by employees and employers which are descri