- Assessment tasks
You are working as a Tour Coordinator for Icb Tours. Your manager has asked to prepare a leaflet which is to be presented to the product development team. The objective is to understand the role of current developments and trends in the Tour operations sector of the Travel and tourism industry.
Task 1: Make a leaflet for the product development team.
You have been asked by the line manager to prepare a leaflet for the Product development team to evaluate the impact of current trends and developments on the tour operator industry. Hence, conduct detailed research with the help of supportive material that includes textbooks, online resources, and more and along with it visit different travel agencies physically or virtually.
AC 1.1 Examine the impact of recent trends and developments on the tour operator’s industry.
Types of Tour Operators
- Inbound Tour Operators
- Domestic Tour Operators
- UK Outbound Tour Operators
- Specialist Tour Operators
Current trends and development
- Integration (Horizontal and Vertical)
- Advancements in technology
- Rise and fall of inflation
- The effect of Brexit on Tourism.
- Low-cost Carriers
- Increased environmental awareness and Responsible tourism.
Task 2: Group Presentation
Make a group of 2-5 individuals and carry out practical research within our operation management in the tourism industry.
It involves the determination of assessment criteria and making use of secondary information to design and execute a package holiday ad and present it to the class as a PowerPoint presentation.
AC 2.1 Analyse the stages and timescales involved in developing holidays.
- Market research
- Planning and scheduling
- Costing the holiday.
- Financial Evaluation and Pricing.
- Creating the brochure.
- Operation and Execution
- Post Tour Management
AC 2.2 Discuss the relevancy of different methods of contracting for different components of the holiday and different types of tour operator’s regulators.
- Fixed Contract
AC 2.3 Determine the selling price of a holiday from the given information.
(It includes fixed and variable costs, load factors, direct and indirect costs, seasonal flexing, competitive prices, and more).
The presentation should include the following tasks:
- Regulatory bodies
- Complete detail of tour and expenses associated
- Stages of developing a holiday package
- Relevancy of different methods of contracting
- About the hotels in the chosen destination.
- Discuss price details than other tours.
Task 3 – Report Writing (Individual work)
This task needs you to work with the Marketing Department team of the Tour Operators which requires the evaluation of brochures and methods of distribution used to sell luxury holidays. It requires evaluation of decisions taken to design brochures, suitability of alternatives to traditional printed brochure,s and analyses of the different methods used to sell a package by different tour operators. You are required to prepare a management report summary along with relevant sources and examples.
AC 3.1 Analyse the planning decisions required to design a selected brochure.
Make an evaluation of Brochures from different tour operators and rate them based on:
- The cost required to design, distribute, quality of prints, copies of the brochure
- Whether two fold, three or booklet format is used.
- Evaluation of target market and budget of the research project.
- Making specifications for brochure design.
- Stages to make a holiday package.
AC 3.2 Evaluate alternatives suitability to a traditional brochure for different types of a tour operators.
- IPad/Android Applications
- Outdoor media (billboards, tube, TfL busses)
- Social Media
- Radio/ TV Advertising
- Press (newspapers, magazines)
- Travel fairs (WTM, ITB)
AC 3.3 Determine the suitability of different methods of distribution used by different tour operators.
- Direct Distribution
- Two level Distribution
- Through social network website
- Government website
- Online travel agencies
- Visitor information center
- Review sites
- Voucher sites
- Concierge services
AC 4.1 Strategic decisions used by different tour operators.
- Pricing Strategies
- Surcharge policy
- Positioning and image
- Choice of product in accordance to customer portfolio
- Distribution decisions
AC 4.2 Differentiate the tactical decisions (two examples) that could be taken by a selected tour operator in different situations.
- Tactical Responses
- Tactical Pricing
- Tactical Marketing