Table Of Contents
What Is a Personal Letter?
A personal letter is a type of letter which usually relates to personal matters rather than expressing professional concerns. It is longer than a dashed-off note or invitation, and is often handwritten and sent by mail. A personal letter is generally sent from one individual to the other or an organization in order to address the concern or matter in an informal manner. Sometimes students are also asked to prepare a personal letter format. But, most of them are not even aware of the different types of personal letters; therefore, get stuck. Are you too among them? If yes, then the succeeding section will be helpful for you.
What Are the Different Types of Personal Letters?
The following are the different types of personal letters that you can write -
- Farewell -This type of personal letter is written when you are saying goodbye to someone. The reason could be anything; changing school, switching homes, going abroad, or anything. Through this letter, you need to express your best wishes to the one who is starting a new phase of his/her life.
- Get Well -Get well personal letters are written for someone who got sick or hospitalized. You can wish someone a fast recovery from illness or injury. Through this letter, you can express your sincere concern and give them best wishes. You can also refer to the personal letter writing examples to get a better idea about the same.
- Love - Nowadays, love letters still work even when social media and e-mails are there. Generally, teenagers think that writing love letters and sending them to their loved ones are the best way to express feelings. This letter isn’t only about couples; you can even write a love letter to the one you love or care about. The personal letter writing format for this typeis the same as that of other letters.
- Pen Pal -This type of personal letter is quite different from other types of letters. By writing a pen pal, you can communicate with someone by sending letters regularly. Nowadays, when the digital era is blooming, pen pal letters still work. You can choose any personal letter template available online to write your pen pal.
- Condolence -Through this type of letter, you show some sincere sympathy to your closest ones. You can wish them power and strength through this letter and make them feel better. By using some gentle words, you can help the person in losing his/her burden. To write a better condolence letter, you should follow a simple personal letter structure that conveys your feelings in a better way.
- Congratulations -As the name suggests, this personal letter is written to someone who has received a great achievement or an award. The personal letter writing format for this type of letter is very easy, so creating it won’t be an issue for you.
- Thank You -A thank you letter is written to show great appreciation to someone. Suppose, if they have invited you to their party, gave you a gift, did a favor, or anything that has made you feel overwhelmed and appreciated, then you write this letter to pay them gratitude. The personal letter formatting for this type is quite informal and is generally sent to a friend or family.
So, these are some of the different types of personal letters that people generally write. Well, the list doesn’t end here as we have mentioned only the most common ones. Now, let's discuss the elements that you need to include in the format of a personal letter.
What Are the Major Elements of Personal Letter Format?
The following are some of the mandatory elements that you need to include in the format for personal letter for any type.
- Full name and address of the sender
- Full name and address of the recipient
- A subject line
- An introductory paragraph
- Body paragraphs
- A concluding paragraph
- A signing-off note
- First name of the sender
This is it! These are the basic elements that you should not forget to include while formatting a personal letter. We hope now it quite clear to you what to include in a personal letter and whatnot. OK! Now, let’s move to the basic structuring of personal letter writing format.
What Is the Basic Structure of Personal Letter Formatting?
As per the survey conducted by the Instant Assignment Help experts, more than 50% of the students search, “How to format a personal letter?” The major reason is, they are not aware of the basic structure of personal letter formatting. So, to help them, the experts have mentioned everything about the basic structure.
- Your Name & Address
This section is written on the top right corner of the page. Here, you need to write your full name, along with the address. This will enable the other person to reply to whom you are writing a letter.
For Example - Full name, Street Address, City, State, Zip Code, Country
The date should always be displayed on the right-hand side of the paper beneath your address. Remember to write the date in full format.
For Example - 21 July 2020
- Sender’s Name & Address
The sender’s name and address are always written on the left-hand side of the paper beneath the date. And yes, always make sure to include the full name of the sender.
For Example - Full Name, Street Address, City, State, Zip Code, Country
Whenever you prepare a personal letter structure, you can write the most widely used term of endearment, i.e., “Dear” followed by the first name of the recipient.
For Example - Dear Mr. Jones,
In case you have good relations with the person to whom you are writing a letter, you can simply write the first name along with the salutation.
For Example - Dear Jones
- Subject Line (Optional)
A subject line plays an essential role, especially when you are preparing a proper personal letter format for business purposes.
- Introductory Paragraph
Here, you can write the opening paragraph by including the main content of the letter. This section generally includes the premise of the personal letter. It is written to draw the recipient’s attention towards the matter.
For Example - I am writing this letter to congratulate for…
- Body Paragraph
There is no fixed length for writing a body paragraph of the personal letter. So, just write whatever you want to convey, but try to keep everything clear and concise.
- Concluding Paragraph
Here, you can summarize the entire content of the letter and conclude your statement. The personal letter writing format always has a call-to-action so that the recipient can prompt a reply.
- Signing-Off Note
Finally, here you can write a sign-off note by thanking the recipient for giving their precious time and attention.
For Example - Thanks, regards, sincerely, cordially, with gratitude, kind regards, with appreciation, yours truly, etc.
- Name of the Sender
Now end the personal letter by either writing your name or doing signature. You can also conclude with something more friendly like “All the best.”
For Example - All the Best
So, this all about the personal letter structure that you need to follow. After that, you can easily come up with a better personal letter format. If still, you get stuck somewhere and need help with personal letter writing, then you can refer to some personal letter format examples present online. Or, you can reach Instant Assignment Help, where we have a team of professionals that can craft a better personal letter writing format for you.
Need Help with Personal Letter Writing Format? Here’s the Solution!
Creating a proper personal essay format is not everyone's cup of tea. If you are also finding it difficult to write a personal letter and searching for assistance, then it is better to reach us. Our team of dedicated experts is good at wrapping up all sorts of writing activities in a jiffy, whether it's a personal letter, a business letter, or an assignment.
Here are a few added benefits that you can get if you opt for personal letter writing assistance online from us.
- 24*7 Customer Support
- On-Time Delivery
- 100% Plagiarism-Free Work
- Affordable Prices
- Exclusive Discounts
- Amazing Freebies
These things are more than enough to make you trust in our services. So, do not think anymore, “How to format a personal letter?” and reach us instantly.
We are here to serve you round-the-clock!